Bauen

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Nice Anecdote

This is completely off the subject, but I remember back about 1965 being told by a race official that I need to wear white socks or no socks, but I couldn't race with black socks. I was wearing the socks to match the shorts, also had a black jersey with red/white stripes (back when amateurs couldn't wear ad logos/names).

I had a Frejus, all Campy Record, Brooks saddle, before Campy made brakes so they were Mafac. Columbus double butted steel. The whole bike with sewups cost me $151 and some change. 1965.

Shoes were $25 and leather.

Jerseys were $15 and wool.

Shorts had real chamois, wool and about $20.

This used to be a sport for the European working classes, a means to escape being a farm hand or working in a factory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home