Bauen

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Bicycle Racing Strategy

Horner's finish-line stand

Chris Horner (Davitamon-Lotto) couldn't believe his bad luck. The plucky American made the selection of the elite group up the final climb when he punctured with about 7km to go. He knew that was no-man's land despite a fast wheel change.

When he rolled up to the finish line, he stopped just short of the tape and just idled there before slipping across 50th at 3:28 back.

"I got the flat, so there goes the GC. I knew there was no way I was chasing back, so that's why I wanted to lose as much time as possible," Horner said. "I just sat there two minutes. Maybe that's enough time that they'll let me go in a break and not worry about me."

Horner was poised for a solid result in the demanding Pais Vasco race. In Monday's opener, he finished a solid sixth against the likes of three-time world champion Oscar Freire and Valverde.

"The legs aren't super, but they are good enough to be in that lead group," Horner lamented. "I came here to win something. So the GC's gone, so maybe I can get a stage."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home