Bauen

Sunday, May 15, 2005

The Myth of Countries

"...as I think of the many myths, there is one that is very harmful, and that is the myth of countries. I mean, why should I think of myself as being an Argentine, and not a Chilean, and not an Uruguayan. I don't know really. All of those myths that we impose on ourselves – and they make for hatred, for war, for enmity – are very harmful. Well, I suppose in the long run, governments and countries will die out and we'll be just, well, cosmopolitans." -- Jorge Luis Borges, 1980

To which I juxtapose with Walter Benjamin:

"The realization of dream elements, in the course of waking up, is the paradigm of dialectical thinking. Thus, dialectical thinking is the organ of historical awakening. Every epoch, in fact, not only dreams the one to follow but, in dreaming, precipitates its awakening. It bears its end within itself and unfolds it – as Hegel already noticed – by cunning. With the destabilizing of the market economy, we are begining to recognize the monuments of the bourgeoisie as ruins even before they have crumbled" (Benjamin, Paris, the Capital of the Nineteenth Century, 44).

Indeed, many political theorists see the nation-state era crumbling. When will the market crumble?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home