Bauen

Sunday, May 15, 2005

So I'm not the only one sick of his own prose

I feel like I have end-of-semester exhaustion, even though I didn’t teach this semester (don’t tell David Horowitz!), and just over a week ago I figured out why. All this time I’ve been blogging and blogstanding and blogtending, I also wrote three talks, three academic essays, and one newspaper opinion piece, while editing a special issue of a journal, turning in the long-overdue first draft of Liberal Arts, and finishing up work on a bunch of other things as well. I don’t think I’ve ever done so much writing in a six-month span. And it turns out that my long-overdue first draft needs a whole lot of work, and you know what that means—more writing. Honestly, I’ve just gotten sick and tired of reading my own prose. If you’ve sensed a certain lack of snap, crackle, or pop in recent posts, well, that’s why. A friend recently remarked to me that when Janet guest-posted here two weeks ago, it was a “breath of fresh air” on the blog. “Mm, m’fren’,” I replied. “For you and me both.”


Although I have certainly not written as much as Prof. Berube, I have written a senior thesis (50 pages!), a 10-page essay on political Islam, and now I'm writing a 10-page essay on Borges' "Emma Zunz."

I need to get away from my own writing. My ideas feel so stale. Yet here I write.

1 Comments:

  • That's the beauty of blogging - it's possible to turn to the blog and complain about the impossibility of writing, and then (sometimes) create something really fascinating. Ah, the joy of writing.

    By Blogger BlondebutBright, at 5/18/2005 8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home